This course covers incident management; mass fatalities; planning before and operations during an incident; establishing the morgue; family assistance support operations; and assistance from the Federal government. The course concludes with a tabletop exercise.
Participants will learn to identify the characteristics of a mass fatality incident and identify the roles and responsibilities of key personnel in the incident. In addition, the instructor will describe the steps required to respond to a mass fatalities incident, including catastrophic numbers of fatalities and contaminated remains, and help participants determine their jurisdiction’s preparedness for a mass fatalities event.
Selection Criteria: The target audience for this course is local responders who may have responsibility for the recovery, handling, identification, and return of remains following a mass fatalities incident.
- Describe the critical operational activities:
- Search and recovery
- Morgue operations
- Media relations
- Family assistance
- Explain how the Family Assistance Center is used to support families and to aid identification of the deceased.
- Identify the requirements to ensure that the psychological needs of morgue personnel are addressed.
- Recognize the importance of Critical Incident Stress Debriefings for responders at a mass fatalities incident.
- Identify the resources that are available during a mass fatalities incident and describe their roles and responsibilities.
- Apply the principles of ICS to a simulated incident.
G Courses offered virtually are in coordination with Colorado DSHSEM / State Training Officer. All Blue Cell lead instructors are State Certified. Participants are welcomed from outside Colorado. Consult with your States Training Officer for any additional application or certification requirements.
We take standard curriculum and tailor our instruction to the audience, discipline and jurisdiction at hand
We incorporate straight from the headlines information on in all course instruction and exercise facilitation
We deliver training and exercise services by request on short and long range scheduling timelines