This course is designed for PIOs with experience in the field who will be working in a JIS/JIC. This is the third course in the Public Information Training Series. This course is delivered at the state, local, tribal, and territorial governments. Other courses are conducted as resident courses at the Emergency Management Institute (EMI). The courses build on each other enhancing students’ skills further at each level. This course uses Blooms Taxonomy as a guide to focus the course material to augment the knowledge and comprehension for new PIOs.
(This course is equivalent to E/L0387)
This course will outline the communications needed for different incidents and define the roles of the PIO within ICS.
Selection Criteria: The primary audience for this training is individuals who have public information responsibilities as their main job or as an auxiliary function at the federal, state, local, tribal, or territorial level of government, and in the private and nongovernmental sectors.
- State the course purpose and objectives. (Unit 1)
- Describe why public information officers train at this level. (Unit 1)
- Define NIMS, and explain where public information fits in. (Unit 2)
- Define ICS and the role of the PIO within ICS. (Unit 2)
- Analyze the communications needs of a single-PIO incident. (Unit 2)
- Given a 5% scenario, analyze the actions and barriers to communications in an expanding incident. (Unit 3)
- Describe the advantages and challenges of working with multiple PIOs. (Unit 3)
- Differentiate between the JIS and the JIC. (Unit 4)
- Describe triggers for JIC activation. (Unit 4)
- Describe the preparedness activities for establishing and maintaining a JIC. (Unit 4)
- Describe flexible and scalable structures for organizing a JIC based on incident needs. (Unit 4)
- Describe circumstances when state and Federal partners might be integrated into the JIS/JIC. (Unit 5)
- Describe the State JIC organizational structures and resources. (Unit 5)
- Describe the Federal ESF #15 organizational structures and resources. (Unit 5)
- Identify strategies for building partnerships at all levels. (Unit 5)
- Given a 5% scenario, demonstrate organizing a JIC. (Unit 6)
- Recall course key points. (Unit 7)
G Courses offered virtually are in coordination with Colorado DSHSEM / State Training Officer. All Blue Cell lead instructors are State Certified. Participants are welcomed from outside Colorado. Consult with your States Training Officer for any additional application or certification requirements.